- Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law (L.L.M. in Taxation, with Distinction)
- Villanova University School of Law (J.D., Cum Laude)
- Lafayette College (B.A. in English)
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- American Bar Association, Tax and Litigation Sections
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Tax Section
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Tax and Business Sections
- Third Circuit Bar Association
James R. Malone, Jr.
James R. Malone, Jr. is a Principal in the Firm’s Tax Controversy Practice. He represents clients in disputes with federal, state and local tax authorities. Mr. Malone represents clients – including businesses, individual taxpayers, accountants and tax preparers – in both administrative proceedings and in court:
- In federal tax matters, he represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service and in the U.S. Tax Court, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, or U.S. District Courts.
- For state and local tax matters, Mr. Malone represents clients before the Department of Revenue, before local administrative agencies and in the Pennsylvania courts.
Mr. Malone focuses on securing the best possible outcome for clients, either through settlement or litigation. He combines litigation experience with extensive knowledge of federal, state, and local tax laws and procedures that allow him to represent clients through the full lifecycle of a tax controversy, including the following types of engagements:
- Audit defense
- Administrative appeals
- Deficiency actions
- Refund actions
- Collections cases
- Non-filing and delinquent filing
- Voluntary disclosures
- Penalty defense
In addition to providing representation in active tax controversy matters, Mr. Malone provides compliance advice on federal, state and local tax issues to clients across a broad array of industries.
Mr. Malone also represents clients in Commercial Litigation matters, and has extensive experience as an appellate advocate.
Prior to joining Post & Schell, Mr. Malone was the principal and founder of an independent law firm focused on tax controversies and related litigation. From 2005 through 2016 he was named by his peers as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer as published by American Lawyer Media and Philadelphia Magazine. In 2007, he was named among the top 100 lawyers in both Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. For information about these selections and an overview of common third-party publications, rankings, and lists methodologies, click here.