Jim Malone Serves as a Panelist for CLE Webinar on Tax Issues in Bankruptcy Cases for Philadelphia Bar Association on May 29
On May 29, 2020, James R. Malone, Jr. served as a panelist for the CLE webinar, "Tax Issues in Bankruptcy Cases," for members of the Philadelphia Bar Association at 12:30 pm ET. His co-panelists were Holly Smith Miller, Member, Gellert Scali Busenkill & Brown, LLC, and Megan N. Harper, Deputy City Solicitor, City of Philadelphia Law Department. The webinar was presented by the Bar Association's Tax Section in combination with its Bankruptcy Law Committee.
The CLE provided an overview of some tax issues that may be implicated in the course of personal or business bankruptcies. The faculty covered the:
- Impact of bankruptcy on officers, directors, and shareholders of the debtor.
- Rights of the IRS and other tax authorities as a creditor, including issues surrounding liens, lien priority, and levies.
- Tax authorities and the automatic stay.
- Litigation of tax claims in bankruptcy court and potential procedural advantages.
- Discharge of tax claims in Chapter 7 cases, and their treatment in Chapter 11 and Chapter 13 cases.
- Tax implications of debt restructuring for debtors and creditors.
- Tax attributes available to bankruptcy estates.