- Villanova University School of Law (J.D., Cum Laude, 1980) Law Review - Associate Editor, Villanova Law Review; Winner, Theodore L. Reimel Moot Court Competition, 1980; Winner, Ullman Award for Academic Excellence Criminal Law
- Dickinson College (B.A. in Political Science, 1977)
- New Jersey, 1986
- Pennsylvania, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Villanova University School of Law, Adjunct Professor (2006-2015)
- Fellow, American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
- Honorable Daniel L. Herrmann, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Delaware
Richard L. McMonigle, Jr.
Principal & Chair, Insurance Law Department
Richard L. McMonigle, Jr. is a Principal and Chair of the Firm's Insurance Law Department. He advises national clients on significant insurance coverage and claims compliance matters, and defends individual and class action cases involving complex coverage issues, alleged bad faith, policyholder fraud, and life, health, and disability claims.
In addition to representing his clients in litigation, Mr. McMonigle provides counsel and training to insurance and benefit plan professionals on coverage interpretation and claims handling procedures. He is the author of the only treatise on bad faith law in Pennsylvania, Insurance Bad Faith in Pennsylvania, now in its 18th edition, as well as Insurance Bad Faith in New Jersey, now in its 4th edition, both published by American Lawyer Media (ALM).
Mr. McMonigle lectures nationally, and has authored numerous published articles on insurance coverage, bad faith, policyholder fraud, and life, health and disability issues. His reputation has led to his being retained as a private mediator and legal consultant in insurance/bad faith matters.
A former prosecutor in Philadelphia and Delaware County (PA), Mr. McMonigle has tried to verdict as lead counsel over 50 major jury and scores of non-jury matters in the state and federal courts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He is also an experienced appellate attorney, having authored briefs and presented oral argument before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, the Pennsylvania Superior Court, the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Mr. McMonigle served as law clerk to the Honorable Daniel L. Herrmann, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Delaware.
From 2006 through 2015, Mr. McMonigle served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Villanova University School of Law, teaching Trial Advocacy. From 2005 through 2018, he was recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by his peers as published by Thomson Reuters and Philadelphia Magazine in the area of Insurance Law. In 2012 and 2013 he was also listed in Super Lawyers Business Edition.
The Best Lawyers in America©, a highly respected national peer review publication, selected Mr. McMonigle for inclusion in its 2010, 2011, 2015 and 2016 Editions in the specialty of Insurance Law. For information about these selections and an overview of common third-party publications, rankings, and lists methodologies, click here.