- Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law (J.D., 1980)
- Dickinson College (B.A., 1977)
- Pennsylvania, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Justice William D. Hutchinson, Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- Honorable Roy Wilkinson, Jr., Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania
A. James Johnston
Chair, Business Law & Litigation
A. James Johnston is Chair of the Firm's Business Law & Litigation Department, and Principal in its Employment & Employee Relations and Health Care Practice Groups. He represents for-profit and not-for-profit corporations, and their directors, officers and employees in multiple industries, including healthcare, before state and federal courts, federal, state and local administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Department of Labor (DOL) and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission. His clients include some of the nation’s largest health systems and hospitals, as well as national employers with multi-state operations.
Over a three-decade career representing employers, Mr. Johnston has compiled substantial experience in defending clients against the full range of employment discrimination claims in state and federal courts. He has successfully defended clients and secured defense victories in precedent-setting cases and has also served as a close adviser and counselor to his clients on employment and employee issues and compliance.
Specifically, Mr. Johnston provides advice, counsel, and representation to employers in all aspects of employment law including issues relating to and claims brought pursuant to every major employment statute, including: the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA); the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA); the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA); the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA); Title VII; and the Equal Pay Act, among others.
Mr. Johnston also regularly provides advice, counsel, and representation on a range of employment, employee, litigation, and compliance related issues, including drafting and interpretation of employment handbooks and manuals, conducting internal investigations, employee privacy, and individual employee rights issues, and federal and state regulatory compliance.