Brian W. Bisignani is a Principal and Chair of the Firm's Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights Group. His practice encompasses the areas of business reorganizations and financial restructurings, commercial bankruptcy law and litigation, commercial loan restructurings, and corporate and business law. Mr. Bisignani focuses his practice on representations of secured and unsecured creditors in both bankruptcy and non-bankruptcy proceedings. He also focuses on receivership and trusteeship proceedings, including those in the areas of real estate, long-term care, and gaming, and on issues relating to historic preservation. He is further heavily involved with corporate and business issues, including mergers, acquisitions, sales, divestitures, and commercial financing transactions.
Mr. Bisignani’s clients include profit and not-for-profit, public and privately held companies and organizations. Representative clients vary in size, from individuals and entrepreneurs to large-sized companies, and come from a variety of industries, including health care, banking and financial services, distributorships, manufacturing, commercial finance & leasing, consulting, and professional services.
Prior to joining Post & Schell in 2007, Mr. Bisignani was the managing partner of the Harrisburg, PA office of a large national law firm. He also served as Counsel, Office of Chief Counsel, Department of Commerce, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania from 1989 to 1993.
Mr. Bisignani has been awarded Martindale-Hubbell's “AV – Preeminent” rating based on peer review assessments for his legal proficiency, communication skills, and ethical standards. The Best Lawyers in America© recognized him in the Banking and Finance Law category in its 2022 and 2023 editions. For information about these selections and an overview of common third-party publications, rankings, and lists methodologies, click here.
Read full bio >
Read less >
Representative Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights Matters
- Sports Authority Holdings, Inc., Wilmington, Delaware - Employee Benefits Administrator
- Southern Regional Health Systems, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia - Pension Plan Actuary and Consultant
- OneJet, Inc., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Debtor's former Chief Executive Officer and Adversary Proceeding Defendant
- PES Holdings, LLC/Philadelphia Energy Solutions Refining and Marketing, LLC, Wilmington, Delaware - Multiple Unsecured Creditors and Chairman of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- Hollister Construction Services, LLC, Trenton, New Jersey - Multiple Unsecured Creditors and Contractors
- Sears Canada Group, Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Pension Plan Actuary and Consultant
- Target Canada, Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Pension Plan Actuary and Consultant
- Arcon Homes, LLC, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania - Primary Secured Creditor
- Eastman Kodak Corp., New York, New York – Employee Benefits Administrator
- U.S. Airways Group, Inc., Alexandria, Virginia – Pension Plan Actuary and Consultant
- Hauser Estate, Inc., Harrisburg, Pennsylvania - Primary Secured Creditor
- Independent AG Equipment, Inc., Harrisburg, Pennsylvania - Secured Creditor and Floor Plan Financing Provider
- The City of Detroit, Detroit, Michigan – Employee Benefits Consultant
- MF Global Holdings, Ltd., New York, New York – Unsecured Creditor
- Bally Total Fitness, Inc., New York, New York – Employee Benefits Consultant
- AMR Corporation, New York, New York – Unsecured Creditor
- Chrysler LLC, New York, New York – Employee Benefits Consultant and Creditor
- Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc., New York, New York – Unsecured Creditor
- Linens ‘N Things, Inc., Wilmington, Delaware – Employee Benefits Administrator
- Enron Corporation, New York, New York – Employee Benefits Consultant
- Waste Systems International, Inc., Wilmington, Delaware – Primary Unsecured Creditor
- Anchor Glass Container Corp., Tampa, Florida – Employee Benefits Consultant
- HomeBanc Mortgage Corp., Wilmington, Delaware – Pension Plan Consultant
- Washington Mutual, Inc., Wilmington, Delaware – Pension Plan Consultant
- Capmark Financial Group, Inc., Wilmington, Delaware – Unsecured Creditor
- Lower Bucks Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – Pension Plan Consultant
- NewPage Corp., Wilmington, Delaware – Debtors’ Executive Compensation Consultant
- Journal Register Company, New York, New York – Pension Plan Investment Advisor
- Associated Wholesalers, Inc., Wilmington, Delaware - Preference Action Defendant
- Patriot National, Inc., Wilmington, Delaware - Unsecured Creditor and Insurer
- Pottsville Internists Associates, Inc., Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania - Purchaser of Debtor's Assets
Representative Receivership & Trusteeship Matters
- Represented Trustee appointed by Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board to take comprehensive control of the Mount Airy Casino Resort, including close interaction with the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board and its executive staff and close interaction with the casino’s primary lender through two refinancing transactions.
- Represented investors in federal receivership proceedings of failed investment firm.
- Represented primary secured creditor of mortgage brokerage and mortgage origination firm in state receivership and foreclosure proceedings.
Represented acquirer of business assets in comprehensive, multi-year dispute resolution with the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of the U.S. Trustee.
Representative Business and Corporate Matters
- Represented large, regional health system and its related companies as Borrowers’ Counsel in connection with a $75 million tax-exempt financing transaction.
- Represented publicly traded health care and physical rehabilitation provider in general business and corporate matters, including comprehensive financial restructuring transactions with its lender and in subsequent sale transaction for its business assets and operations.
- Represented dairy, dairy products company, and water company with multi-state operations as outside general counsel, including representation in multiple sales and divestitures of its businesses and real estate.
- Represented various multi-national corporations on Pennsylvania law issues in financing transactions.
- Represented large regional business in multiple strategic acquisitions of assets of competitors, including financing aspects.
- Represented national long-term care provider with numerous Pennsylvania facilities in negotiation of comprehensive settlements with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Representative Historic Preservation Matters
- Represented non-profit preservation organization regarding eminent domain and taking dispute with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation concerning U.S. National Register of Historic Places-listed property.
- Represented a non-profit preservation organization regarding conservation easement placement and enforcement.
- Served on Board of Directors (2016 - present), Corporate Secretary (2017), Vice President (2018-2019), President (2020-present), Executive Committee (2017-present), and General Counsel (2016 - present) of The Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County, a Section 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to historic preservation in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
- Advised The Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County on various preservation-related issues and organized and participated in various fundraising and educational initiatives sponsored by The Trust.