Michael W. Gang is a Principal and Co-Chair of the Firm's Energy & Utilities Practice Group. Mr. Gang represents major electric and gas utilities before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in a wide range of regulatory proceedings, including base-rate increase requests, pipeline safety and incident investigations, and issues concerning retail supply competition. Mr. Gang has acted as lead regulatory counsel in numerous major proceedings regarding approvals for purchasing and selling public utility properties and establishing new public utilities. He also assists midstream pipelines in developing regulatory strategies and represents them with regard to safety investigations, as well as assisting public utilities and other entities with major financings and in providing comments on potential legislation and proposed regulations.
In addition, Mr. Gang represents industrial and public utility clients on water and waste matters and in appellate matters on a broad range of energy and utility issues. He routinely assists clients with midstream pipeline systems development and regulation issues, such as pipeline safety regulation and circumventing public utility regulation.
In 2013, Mr. Gang was named a top-rated lawyer in the specialty of Energy/Environmental/Natural Resources by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell. The Best Lawyers in America©, a peer-review publication, selected Mr. Gang for its 2021, 2022, and 2023 editions in the categories of Energy Law and Energy Regulatory Law. He was also chosen for the most recent 2015 to 2020 Editions in Energy Law and Energy Regulatory Law. In 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011, Mr. Gang was named by his peers a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer as published by American Lawyer Media and Philadelphia Magazine. In 2012, he was listed in Super Lawyers Business Edition. He is also recognized as one of Harrisburg Magazine’s Local Legal Leaders of 2015. Mr. Gang is AV preeminent peer-review rated with Martindale-Hubbell. For information about these selections and an overview of common third-party publications, rankings, and lists methodologies, click here.
Read full bio >
Read less >
- Lead counsel in first Pennsylvania proceeding concerning the successful acquisition of a major public utility by a private equity investment fund.
- Represented numerous gas utility clients in development of Natural Gas Choice and Competition Act and subsequent implementation proceedings.
- Assisted foreign governmental entities in acquiring major interests in public utilities.
- Represented public utilities in obtaining regulatory approvals of major mergers and acquisitions.
- Assisted major Pennsylvania producer in developing midstream pipeline strategy and structure.
- Natural gas distribution companies
- Midsteam pipeline companies
- Electric distribution companies
- Water utilities
- Article/Presentation, "Recent Development & Issues in Rate Proceedings," Pennsylvania Bar Association (September 2005)
- Article, "An Overview of Natural Gas and Oil Pipeline Regulation" (January 2001)
- White Paper, "The Pennsylvania Natural Gas Choice and Competition Act" (July 1999)
- Article, "Weather Normalization Clauses -- Heating Load Rate Adjustments," Pennsylvania Bar Association's Public Utility Law Section Newsletter, Vol. IV, No. 4 (October 1, 1991)
- White Paper, "Utility Easements and Environmental Liability Under the Recent Decision of the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court in Western Pennsylvania Water Company" (January 1990)
- "Recent Developments in Mergers and Acquisitions," PUC Utility Law Conference, Harrisburg, PA (January 2007)
- "Incentive Regulation in the Gas Industry," PUC Utility Law Conference, Harrisburg, PA (October 31, 1996)
- "Pennsylvania Developments," Environmental Law Developments Seminar, Philadelphia, PA (April 27, 1995)
- "Consequences and Effects of Unbundling of Pipeline Rates Upon LDCs and Their Customers," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Pennsylvania Public Utiltiy Law Seminar, Harrisburg, PA (December 1, 1994)