Michael A. Boomsma is a Principal in the Firm's Casualty Litigation Practice Group in both its Lancaster and Harrisburg, PA offices, and joined the Firm in 1999. Mr. Boomsma possesses a diverse legal background allowing him to practice in multiple areas including commercial trucking, construction accident and defect, fire loss, hospitality, premises, and products liability.
Prior to joining Post & Schell, P.C., Mr. Boomsma served for three years as an Assistant District Attorney in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, prosecuting and trying to verdict all levels of felonies and misdemeanors. Following his tenure as a prosecutor, for six years Mr. Boomsma was a partner in private practice, which included serving as court-appointed counsel.
Mr. Boomsma applies this wealth of client counsel and trial experience to approach cases and matters from a variety of perspectives.
Read full bio >
Read less >
- Successfully defended commercial truck drivers and carriers in numerous accidents involving death and serious bodily injury resulting in multi-million dollar settlements.
- Successfully defended commercial road contractors in cases involving death, dismemberment and permanent injury resulting in multi-million dollar settlements.
- Successfully defended general contractor in crane collapse case resulting in permanent injuries to multiple workers obtaining equal contribution from design professional, property owner and contractor.
- Successfully defended product manufacturer of industrial mower causing foot amputation resulting in settlement of less than $105,000.
- Successfully defended product manufacturer of metal folding machine causing bi-lateral partial thumb amputation resulting in settlement of less than $60,000.
- Successfully defended developers and contractors in Stormwater Management Act cases resulting in minimal settlements.
- Successfully defended distributor of aerial work platforms involving fatal tip-over accidents resulting in multimillion dollar settlements where client’s share was at or below 10% contribution.
- Successfully defended distributor of elevated work platforms involving multi-employer worksite accidents resulting in multi-million dollar settlements where client’s share was at or below 10% contribution.
- Defense verdict for one of the largest privately-held corporate food service providers in the U.S. and its commercial truck driver. Case involved an alleged "courtesy wave" by the commercial truck driver resulting in an accident, a fatality and serious injuries. Jury found no liability. (Luzerne County).
- Defense verdict for commercial driver involved in double fatality tractor trailer accident (Lancaster County).
- Defense verdict for general contractor in road construction accident involving permanent, catastrophic injuries to legs and back. (Dauphin County).
- Defense verdict for sub-contractor in road construction accident involving permanent catastrophic injuries to legs and back. (Lancaster County).
- Defense verdict for general contractor in construction defect claim. Jury awarded contractor damages on counterclaim for unpaid work. (Chester County).
- Defense verdict for horse racing track where jockey suffered serious, permanent injuries. (Dauphin County).
- Defense verdict (bench trial) in boating accident involving colliding boats and near drowning resulting in permanent injury (Huntingdon County). · Defense verdict in premises liability case involving serious leg injury and multiple surgeries (Dauphin County).
- Defense verdict in premises liability case involving serious shoulder injury and multiple surgeries (Adams County).
- Defense verdict in premises liability case involving knee injury and subsequent surgeries (Lancaster County).
- Settlement after two weeks of trial involving double leg amputation at commercial construction site involving multiple parties (Philadelphia County).
- Finding of equal liability in industrial accident case resulting in minimal gross award (< $50,000) involving triple digit amputation (Lancaster County).
- Finding of shared liability in hotel premises case resulting in minimal gross award (<$20,000) involving serious permanent scarring (Allegheny County).
- Finding of no causation and minimal award (< $3,000) in admitted liability vehicle roll-over case (Cumberland County).
Approved and retained counsel for:
- International auto remarketing company
- Several regional commercial and residential construction firms
- Manufacturer of turf products with international distribution
- Pennsylvania gaming company
- International restaurant chain
- International hotel chains
- Distributor of elevated work platforms
- Distributor of aerial work platforms
- Regional trucking firms
- National store chain
- "The Mechanics of Trial Preparation," Seminar for Lancaster County Bar Association
- "Alternative Dispute Resolution: Suggestions For Alternatives To Litigation" Seminar for Central Pennsylvania Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel and the PBA In-House Counsel Committee
- "Defenses in Premises Liability Cases" Seminar for the Lancaster Bar Association
- "Premises Liability Issues in the Hospital Setting" Seminar for Lancaster Regional Health Medical Center