- Temple University School of Law (J.D., 1996)
- Princeton University (B.A., 1991)
- New Jersey
- The Best Lawyers In America, Insurance Law category (2020 edition)
- Member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- 2005 – present Pennsylvania Insurance Coverage Super Lawyer (as published by Philadelphia Magazine and American Lawyer Media)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- American Council of Life Insurers
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
Principal & Vice-Chair, Insurance Law Department
Steven Schildt is a Principal and the Vice-Chair of the Firm's Insurance Law Department. He works out of the Firm's Pennsylvania and New Jersey offices and has devoted his entire legal career to representing insurers in coverage, ERISA, and bad faith matters. Mr. Schildt was recently honored by being selected for inclusion in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers In America, Insurance Law category. His national and broad-based coverage litigation and coverage opinion practice encompasses personal and commercial insurance claims and disputes in almost all areas, including disability claims, ERISA claims, bad faith claims, life/accidental death claims, CGL claims (including additional insured and construction defect disputes), property insurance claims, health insurance claims, commercial auto claims, policy rescission/policyholder fraud, professional liability claims, D&O claims, long-term care claims, and all types of casualty claims. Mr. Schildt has been lead counsel in thousands of such disputes in many different federal courts, state courts, and arbitration forums. He also handles complex coverage and bad faith matters involving excess verdicts, trigger issues, allocation, horizontal/vertical exhaustion, and the interaction among primary, excess, and umbrella policies.
Mr. Schildt also has proven experience in defending and obtaining the dismissal of class action cases and RICO actions involving claims handling and policy interpretation issues. Further, Mr. Schildt has extensive experience with the business side of insurance and routinely defends agents, brokers, and producers against business tort claims and errors/omissions claims (negligence, misrepresentation, etc.). Many of his victories have generated significant and often-cited published opinions. A partial list is below.
Mr. Schildt is often consulted during claim investigations and routinely drafts reservation of rights and coverage position letters. He also regularly presents claims professional training seminars and has written numerous articles on insurance coverage issues. Every year since 2005, Mr. Schildt has been honored by his peers as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the Insurance Coverage category as published by Philadelphia Magazine and American Lawyer Media. Finally, Mr. Schildt has served as an arbitrator and mediator in insurance coverage and bad faith cases.
In 2008 Mr. Schildt was elected a member of the by-invitation-only Federation Of Defense And Corporate Counsel.