Andrea Kirshenbaum Examines Potential COVID-19 Vaccination Programs for HR Executive
In the November 9, 2020 article, "What HR needs to know now about COVID-19 vaccine policy," for HR Executive Magazine, Andrea M. Kirshenbaum looks at the options for employers as they evaluate, develop, and implement COVID-19 vaccination policies and programs for their employees.
The author notes:
Assuming that employers can get access to the vaccine, they have several options.
- Follow the typical influenza vaccination approach of many non-healthcare employers, i.e., offer the vaccine to employees free of charge on a strictly voluntary basis. In a Pandemic Preparedness guidance document issued by the EEOC in 2009 during the H1N1 virus (and updated in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in March of this year), this is the approach suggested: "Generally, ADA-covered employers should consider simply encouraging employees to get the influenza vaccine rather than requiring them to take it."
- Create a "hybrid" approach, that is, mandate the vaccine for certain employees (for example, those who cannot work remotely or cannot fully socially distance in the workplace).
- Mandate the vaccine for all employees who do not qualify for an exemption due to religion or disability.
- Banking and Financial Services
- Commercial Transportation
- Health Care
- Higher Education
- Medical Device & Life Sciences
- Municipal & Government
- Professional Services
- Real Estate
- Death Care
- Energy and Utilities
- Heavy/Highway & Utility Construction
- Supply Chain & Logistics
- Private Equity & Venture Capital