White Collar Principal Peter Hardy and Associate Mehreen Zaman Present on Bloomberg BNA Webinar Regarding Virtual Currency Regulation and Enforcement on Oct. 15
October 15, 2014
On October 15, 2014 at 1:00 pm ET, Internal Investigations & White Collar Defense Principal Peter D. Hardy and Associate Mehreen Zaman served as faculty for a panel discussion, "Bitcoin and Virtual Currency: Innovation and Enforcement," via a webinar sponsored by Bloomberg BNA.
The panel discussion, moderated by Mr. Hardy, examined the growing use of virtual currency, such as Bitcoin, across the world, and its appeal to consumers, businesses, and investors. The faculty addressed, among other issues, the ongoing question of whether virtual currency can remain a viable form of legal monetary exchange, or will increasing regulation deprive virtual currency of the innovation — and perceived anonymity — that so far has made it attractive.
The panel also discussed:
- How virtual currency works
- The current and future regulation of virtual currency under the Bank Secrecy Act
- The current and future taxation of virtual currency by the Internal Revenue Service
- The future of virtual currency, and whether it is a risky fad or the future of finance
- 04.18.2014 - White Collar Principal Peter D. Hardy and Associate Mehreen Zaman Examine Use of Virtual Currency by Tax Evaders for Bloomberg BNA's White Collar Crime Report - Read More >>
- 09.20.2014 - White Collar Principal Peter D. Hardy Serves on Digital Currency Panel at ABA Section of Taxation Joint Fall Meeting - Read More >>