- Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law (J.D., Magna Cum Laude, 1986)
- Pennsylvania State University (M.A., 1978)
- Grinnell College (B.A., with Honors, 1975)
- Pennsylvania, 1986
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Children's Rights Committee; Health Law Section)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Dauphin County Bar Association
Paula J. McDermott
Paula J. McDermott is a Principal in the Firm's Business Law & Litigation Department, concentrating her practice in complex commercial litigation, complex real estate transactions, environmental litigation, employment and employee relations law, land use and zoning law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate/transactional law, regulatory and administrative agency law.
Ms. McDermott, an involved and respected community leader in the Harrisburg, PA and Central Pennsylvania region, possesses extensive “real world” experience in regulatory and administrative agency law, guiding clients through the complexities of such agencies as the Department of Environmental Protection, the Department of Health, and the Department of Public Welfare. She serves an array of entities, including corporations, developers, municipalities, and individuals, providing counseling and representation in matters involving commercial transactions and commercial leasing, tax free exchanges, subdivision and land development disputes, zoning issues, land use civil rights litigation, highway occupancy permit issues, fair housing issues and eminent domain litigation. She also served 10 years on the Board of a regional bank, including service on the Loan, Audit and Personnel Committees.
A well-known adoption advocate, Ms. McDermott volunteers her time on behalf of children, and was awarded the “Agape Award” by the Synod of the Lutheran Church for her efforts. In addition, she received an honorary doctorate of Humane Letters for charitable endeavors from Grinnell College.