- Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law (J.D., Magna Cum Laude, 1988) Woolsack Society
- Dickinson College (B.A. in English, Magna Cum Laude, 1980) Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- American Bar Association Health Law Section American Health Care Association (AHCA)
- Appointed Member, Legal Committee
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA)
- Long Term Care Education Planning Committee Member
- LeadingAge (formerly American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging), Core Member, Legal Committee
- Dauphin County Bar Association
- LeadingAge PA (formerly PANPHA)
- Pennsylvania Advocacy and Resource for Autism and Intellectual Disabilities (PAR)
- Pennsylvania Association of County Affiliated Homes (PACAH), General Counsel
- Pennsylvania Association of Directors of Nursing Administration (PADONA/LTCN)
- Pennsylvania’s Association for Long Term Care Medicine (PMDA)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (PBA), Co-Chair, Mental Health Subcommittee (Past Chair, Health Law Committee/Past Co-Chair, PBA Long Term Care Subcommittee/Past Chair, PBA Health Care Legislative Subcommittee)
- Pennsylvania Community Providers Association (PCPA)
- Pennsylvania Health Care Association (PHCA)
Paula G. Sanders
Co-Chair, Health Care Practice Group
Paula G. Sanders is a Principal and Co-Chair of the Firm's Health Care Practice Group, where she focuses her national practice exclusively on health care law. She represents clients on both substantive and procedural aspects of health facility regulation, such as surveys; licensure; Medicare/Medicaid; compliance; RAC, MIC, PERM, CERT and ZPIC audits; accreditation; payment matters; HIPAA; fraud and abuse, False Claims Act investigations and voluntary disclosures. She vigorously advocates for her clients before multiple regulatory and law enforcement agencies and is especially successful at coordinating an integrated response to her clients’ issues.
Ms. Sanders represents national, regional and single-site proprietary, non-profit and governmental providers across the full continuum of care. Her post-acute care clients include continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs), long-term care facilities, personal care homes, assisted living providers, hospices, home health agencies, rehabilitation providers, and adult day care centers. She is also actively involved with academic medical centers, hospitals and health systems, institutional pharmacies, durable medical equipment (DME) companies, and mental health and developmental disability providers. In addition to institutional providers, Ms. Sanders also advises licensed professionals, management companies, billing companies, trade associations and serves as general counsel to a reciprocal risk retention group that insures nursing homes, personal care homes and adult day care providers.
Her practice is both pro-active and crisis intervention-based. Ms. Sanders assists her clients with transactional and strategic matters such as changes of ownership (CHOWs), contract negotiations and provider-based determinations. She routinely develops preemptive programs for clients in auditing, monitoring, and other issues, while also providing defense assistance to a wide range of providers on matters ranging from Medicare and Medicaid audits to program integrity, voluntary disclosures and licensure terminations.
Ms. Sanders has developed a special practice working with nursing homes that have been placed on the Federal Special Focus Facility (SFF) list. Through her efforts, several facilities have graduated from the SFF list, avoiding termination and closure. Ms. Sanders has negotiated Systems Improvement Agreements (SIAs) with state agencies and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to provide her clients with additional time to improve their internal systems and the quality of care they provide.
Ms. Sanders is on the Editorial Board of Eli Healthcare’s Long Term Care Survey Alert. She is an appointed member of the legal committees of the American Health Care Association and LeadingAge. Ms. Sanders was named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for Health Care on multiple occasions, and regularly speaks and presents on health care topics to state, national and international audiences.