- University of Pittsburgh School of Law (J.D., Cum Laude, 1980) Law Review
- Dickinson College (B.A., 1977)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Section of Business Law; Section of Dispute Resolution)
- Association for Conflict Resolution (Commercial Section; Online Dispute Resolution Section; Workplace Section)
- Federal Bar Association (Alternative Dispute Resolution Section; Federal Litigation Section)
- Mediation Council of Western Pennsylvania
- National Association for Community Mediation
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (Civil Litigation Section)
- Pennsylvania Council of Mediators
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania (Roster of Neutrals (Mediator; Arbitrator; Early Neutral Evaluator; Roster of Approved E-Discovery Special Masters and Mediators)
Michael J. Betts
Michael J. Betts is a Principal in the Firm's Commercial Litigation Practice Group with over 35 years of experience representing clients in the full gamut of complex commercial litigation matters, including: banking litigation; class action defense; consumer litigation; fiduciary litigation; insurance litigation; securities litigation, including Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitrations; and trade secret/non-compete litigation.
Mr. Betts's expansive legal practice includes:
- Commercial Litigation. Handling a wide variety of claims asserted on behalf of, or against, businesses, including breach of contract cases, claims arising under the Uniform Commercial Code, shareholder and partnership disputes, trade secret litigation, disputes relating to employee non-compete agreements and business torts, e.g., interference with contractual relations and unfair competition.
- Banking Litigation. Substantial experience in a wide-variety of banking-related claims, including fiduciary litigation, lender liability claims, account and check fraud cases, and claims arising under Articles 3, 4 and 4A of the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Professional Liability Claims. Representing clients in professional liability cases, including claims alleging accounting malpractice and legal malpractice.
- Securities Litigation – FINRA Arbitrations and Disciplinary Proceedings. Representing clients in securities fraud litigation and other cases arising under the federal and Pennsylvania securities laws. Mr. Betts is also experienced in the handling of FINRA arbitrations – both “customer” and “industry” arbitrations – and in representing securities professionals in connection with FINRA investigations and disciplinary proceedings.
- Trade Secret Litigation / Restrictive Covenant and Non-Compete Claims. Substantial experience in the handling of cases involving claims for misappropriation of trade secrets – including proceedings under the Pennsylvania Uniform Trade Secret Act (PUTSA) – and claims alleging the breach of restrictive covenants (non-compete) provisions in employment agreements.
Mr. Betts also has extensive experience with alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and has mediated a variety of litigation matters filed in state and federal courts with arbitration panels. He is on the roster of ADR neutrals and approved as an E-Discovery Special Master and Mediator for the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Betts regularly provides mediation and dispute resolution services throughout western and central Pennsylvania.