- Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- Swarthmore College (B.A. in Psychology, 1999)
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Co-Chair of the American Bar Association's White Collar Crime Committee, Philadelphia Young Lawyers Division
- American Bar Association, White Collar Crime Committee
- Federal Bar Association, Philadelphia Criminal Law Committee
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Honorable John T.J. Kelly, Jr., Pennsylvania Superior Court
Matthew T. Newcomer
Matthew T. Newcomer is a Principal in the Firm's Internal Investigations & White Collar Defense and Commercial Litigation Practice Groups. He collaborates with clients in a broad spectrum of industries including health care, pharmaceutical and medical device, as well as financial services, securities and government contracting. Mr. Newcomer conducts internal investigations and counsels and defends corporations, officers, and other individuals facing civil and criminal investigation, including matters involving multinational pharmaceutical and medical device companies and exposures concerning off-label sales and marketing practices, the Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS), the “Responsible Corporate Officer” or “Park” doctrine, the federal False Claims Act (FCA), and federal and state RICO statutes. He recently defended a client in a six-week federal public corruption jury trial gaining an acquittal on the most serious RICO conspiracy charge.
Mr. Newcomer also advises and defends clients under investigation for alleged government contracting fraud, which includes defending against debarment and suspension proceedings that often accompany such investigations.
Mr. Newcomer has considerable experience with business-related civil litigation. His civil litigation practice includes the defense of credit card companies, local and national businesses, and business owners in lawsuits alleging fraud, breach of contract, and Truth in Lending Act (TLA) violations, among other state and federal claims.
Mr. Newcomer speaks and writes frequently on white collar defense topics for regional and national legal magazines, periodicals, and journals. He is co-chair of the ABA’s Philadelphia Young Lawyers’ Division of the Criminal Justice Section’s White Collar Crime Committee, and a member of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), the Federal Bar Association’s Philadelphia Criminal Law Committee, and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
Mr. Newcomer was selected for inclusion in the 2013 - 2017 editions of Pennsylvania Super Lawyer's Rising Stars in the White Collar Defense category, a listing which includes the top 2.5 percent of attorneys in the Commonwealth who are 40 years of age or younger or have been practicing for less than 10 years. For information about this selection and an overview of common third-party publications, rankings, and lists methodologies, click here.
Prior to joining Post & Schell in 2005, Mr. Newcomer served as Deputy Law Clerk for the Honorable John T.J. Kelly, Jr. of the Pennsylvania Superior Court, where he assisted Judge Kelly in adjudicating hundreds of civil and criminal appeals during his clerkship. He is a graduate of Swarthmore College and Temple University Law School.