- College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law (J.D., 2007) Burton Award for Excellence in Legal Writing; Benjamin Rush Scholar; Order of the Coif; Associate Articles Editor on the William & Mary Law Review
- University of Virginia (B.A. in History, with High Honors, 2004) Phi Beta Kappa; Distinguished Major in History
- New Jersey, 2008
- Pennsylvania, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Northampton County Bar Association
- Judge Franklin S. Van Antwerpen, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Bryan M. Shay
Bryan M. Shay is a Principal in the Firm’s Philadelphia and New Jersey offices, and a member of the Firm's Insurance Law Department. With a practice focused on insurance coverage and bad faith litigation, Mr. Shay advises and represents national clients in a variety of complex coverage and bad faith disputes arising from both commercial and personal insurance policies, including: CGL coverage claims (including construction defect/injury matters); property insurance claims; commercial and personal automobile claims; policyholder fraud; policy rescission; health, life, and disability insurance claims; ERISA litigation regarding benefit claims and challenges to health plans, fiduciary issues, and sophisticated preemption issues; annuity and structured settlement disputes; class action litigation; indemnity disputes between insurers; and bad faith claims.
Mr. Shay counsels and assists the Firm’s insurance clients in all aspects of coverage matters, such as analyzing insurance contracts; preparing coverage opinions and reservation of rights letters; litigating coverage disputes through declaratory judgment actions; and defending the Firm’s clients against bad faith and unfair trade practices claims. Mr. Shay has experience litigating in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit; all federal district courts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and the state trial courts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Mr. Shay has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2010 - 2019 editions of Philadelphia Magazine’s “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer - Rising Stars,” a listing which includes the top 2.5 percent of attorneys in the Commonwealth who are 40 years of age or younger or have been practicing for less than 10 years. For information about this selection and an overview of common third-party publications, rankings, and lists methodologies, click here.
Prior to joining Post & Schell, Mr. Shay served as a law clerk to the Hon. Franklin S. Van Antwerpen of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.